Finance – Property and Equipment Development and Management Policy
To meet the Board’s obligations with respect to the management, control and development of the school’s material assets.
To avoid, manage and mitigate risks with material assets.
- The Board of Trustees shall form and operate a property,health and safety sub committee, as required.
- The Board requires the Principal (in conjunction with the property, health and safety sub committee) to develop procedures and systems and to allocate duties, to ensure risk adverse and beneficial management of the school’s material assets, to enable the development and maintenance of all school property and assets.
- The Board of Trustees requires that 2.2 be undertaken with appropriate consultation within and beyond the school, including Palmerston North Catholic Diocese and Catholic Education office and in compliance with all statutory, regulatory and contractual requirements.
- The Principal or delegations, shall not make any purchase above the approved budget. If any purchase is made over the specified budget then approval will be sought by the BOT. If an emergency purchase is necessary then retrospective approval will be needed.
- The Principal shall not fail to meet the Board’s strategic aims, shall not risk the finances, and should not fail to show a generally acceptable level of foresight in regards to any property or financial matters.
- The Principal shall ensure the requirements of NAG 4 are met.
- The Board requires the Principal, in conjunction with the property, health and safety sub-committee and/or delegated other, to develop property & equipment management procedures for this policy, and to present these to the Board of Trustees.
- The property & equipment management procedures will reflect the Board of Trustees rationale and delegations of this Policy.
- The property & equipment management procedures will meet all statutory, regulatory and contractual responsibilities of the Board in respect of these financial matters. These obligations include but are not limited to:
- The Education Act 1989
- The National Administrative Guidelines for Schools
- The Collective Employment Agreements for staff
- The Health and Safety at work act 2015
- The Building Act
- The Private Schools Conditional Integration Act 1975
- The Education Amendment Act 2015
- The property & equipment management procedures will include provision for meeting the requirements for regular reporting to the Board of Trustees.
- The property & equipment management procedures will include provision for meeting the statutory requirements for reporting to the Ministry of Education.
- The property & equipment management procedures will include, but not be limited to: The management of delegations for planning and budgeting for property and equipment development, management and maintenance.
- Property & equipment management procedures will be developed for the following areas:
- 10Yr Cyclical Maintenance Plan
- 10Yr Property Plan from Palmerston North Diosese
- Equipment Maintenance Plan, which contributes to the annual plan each year
- Maintenance of a Property and Equipment Register
- Planning, budgeting, monitoring and reporting for property and equipment development projects
- Building and other constructed plant maintenance
- Cleaning and hygiene
- Grounds maintenance
- Security of buildings and equipment
- Information and communication technology provision, maintenance and development
- Equipment and furniture – provision and maintenance of equipment and furniture within functional areas of the school
- Building warrant of fitness manual
- Asset register
- The Principal will report fully on property and equipment matters to the Board’s regular meeting and will submit work for approval when and as necessary.
- The Principal will prepare a school property and equipment annual report detailing successful Board resourcing and investment into Property and Equipment maintenance and development. An overview of this Report is to be integrated into the annual report.
This policy will be reviewed in accordance with the Board’s regular review process.
This policy links to the school’s mission, values & strategic aims 2, 3, 5 & NAGs 4, 5 & 6.
- Ratified by St Anne’s Catholic School Board of Trustees
|Date of meeting|
|Approval of policy|